Tuesday, January 7, 2020

GC Dungeons and Dragons: Pangea Part 23: An Outside Perspective

When we last left our heroes, they had found an underground city full of petrified ratfolk on their journey to defeat the intelligent red ooze destroying the forest. The single survivor of the ratfolk began to lead them to the ooze's location, but the party was sidetracked by the mention of treasure guarded by beholders.

Note: This will be a compilation of three sessions. I missed the first and third of them, so this should be interesting.
I was inspired for the format by this amazing piece of fiction by Premee Mohammed, "More Tomorrow" http://escapepod.org/2020/01/02/escape-pod-713-more-tomorrow/

Day 3?
I have been traveling with these so-called champions for several days. And several months, if the druid is to be believed. At least I can see, most of the time, when they aren't chasing me through the woods at night and dragging me through pitch black caves.

I hope only to survive this and return to you. I fear constantly for my life, and trust none of these people.

(Later)

That went predictably awry. The champions have gotten it in their heads to destroy the ooze afflicting the forest we have found ourselves in. A noble goal, and definitely not one I think them capable of. And predictably they went haring off at the first opportunity. I stayed behind when they mentioned beholders. I have already seen that I am not yet a match for those monsters, and I doubt these 'heroes' could keep me safe if I were in actual danger.

It is best that I did not follow them. I did notice the silver lizard stayed behind to keep an eye on me. There was a lot of noise, shouting and the sound of magic being cast. Then their cries of victory. So I suppose they were able to defeat whatever beholder creatures they found. I did not hear much from them for a time, but then the changeling came charging past us, shouting something about a giant dragon. I did not wait to see there veracity, as the lizard and I followed her back to the rat city.

The other champions managed to escape whatever disaster they awoke down that tunnel, and they regrouped by the petrified rat king in the center of the town. It wasn't long before most of them wandered off though. The horned elf, the brute and the gnome went looking for a library, and Sadun, the lizard, started making a map of the town. I didn't catch where the druid went, but the changeling stayed by me. She is demonstrating how to play her lyre while I write this.

(Later still)

Sadun returned after a short time, and we had an interesting conversation about the duty of the champions, and saving people versus robbing their city blind while they sit petrified. Whistle, the changeling, and Sadun seem the closest to responsible beings in the group, but even they seem far too blasé about appropriating the material goods of other beings, even if those beings are currently petrified. We were interrupted by the arrival of the ratfolk, Squideon, who directed our attention to a burning house on the periphery of the town. Apparently the library seekers turned to arson?

While Sadun went to sort that out, Whistle and I searched for the druid. We found her dismantling a golden statue, and I admit something inside me broke. Even I turned a blind eye on this blatant act of vandalism. I do not know how to handle this situation. I pray by the minute to escape these people with my soul and my life intact.

Day 4? I hope.

It is hard to tell how time is moving in this underground hell, but it feels like an eternity so I will hope it has been only a day. The rumbling sound of the dragon the champions woke continue to get closer. But more disturbing were the events I was witness to moments ago.

The druid at least used her stolen gems to good effect, and lifted the petrification curse on the rat king. Somehow the king was petrified over a prison cell, because no sooner was he breathing again than he was stabbed through the ground. The champions did not seem to take kindly to this, and rescued the bewildered king while searching for the culprit. They found him soon enough, a tiefling in the prison cell, who somehow still had a sword in hand.

Things seemed to be going well, as the king identified the tiefling as a known murderer, and the champions seemed hostile to him. Although the fact they did not immediately seal the murderer up should have told me all was not well. I have been with these people too long.

The champions and the king discussed several things, clearly forgetting my presence yet again. I used the opportunity to move out of sight, hoping the obviously dangerous tiefling with a sword had not noticed me, and listened in on their conversation. The king clearly wanted to restore his people in order to bring the terrible ooze in the forest under control. Failing that, the king wanted to call upon the ratfolk's master, an ancient black dragon. I surmised this was the dragon the champions had awoken earlier, which seemed intent on finding its way to them.

I heard the change in the champions' voices at the mention of calling the dragon, and peeked out. A scuffle had broken out between them and the king, and as I watched the tiefling murderer walked over and proceeded to kill the king and poor Squideon. The champions seemed fixate on the king's staff, although I noticed an exasperated Whistle changing shape into a large bird and flying away with Sadun and the gnome, Arnick.

A loud rumble announced the imminent arrival of the presumably angry dragon. I prepared to flee the scene myself, but not before I saw the champions turn on the tiefling.

I ran for a long time, trying to find a safe place to hide from whatever was coming. I'm certain they have forgotten me. Perhaps I can find my way out of this underground and find civilization again. I need to get word to my kin. Perhaps we can still pull some success out of this debacle.

(Notes written in the language of the rabbit folk by the paladin Poppy.)

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment